This will be an in depth review on the popular teeth whitening product, Crest 3D Whitestrips. A fellow reader had asked me for my opinion on whether the product works as his girlfriend was planning to purchase them. Therefore I will be giving my honest take on the effectiveness of Crest 3D whitening strips. If you do not wish to read a lengthy post you can read the summarized review of the product here.
If you guys have read my post on why you should smile more, you would know that I am not blessed with naturally white teeth. As such, I have always been curious about the science of teeth whitening and how actors and actresses had such blindingly white teeth when they appeared on the big stage.
How I heard about Crest 3D
I remember hearing about Crest 3D whitening strips years ago, almost 6 years back while reading about at home teeth whitening tips. Back then I was never too enthusiastic about visiting the dentist due to earlier bad experiences, so when a lot of people recommended this product online at the time I felt the need to try it for myself.
Since the 3D range was introduced in 2010 by Crest, they have produced a ton of other teeth whitening products but the one we will be reviewing today will be the Crest 3D Glamorous White Teeth Whitening Strips.
Crest Whitestrips was actually introduced in 2001 from Proctor and Gamble, so it is definitely not something that is produced by a shady company.
There are a lot of teeth whitening products out there and I will be honest with you, probably 80% of them do not work or will not work at all, just by looking at the active ingredients. Therefore I have to be cynical and do my research before purchasing any of these stuff online.
My first experience with teeth whitening
In my opinion, Crest 3D Whitestrips has good packaging and it looks appealing and easy to use. You peel it off, apply it and wait for 30 minutes and take it out to reveal your new, whiter smile. It was the very first teeth whitening product that i had ever tried and I was excited.
Below is a quick overview of the usage of Crest 3D whitening strips and some tips that you may find useful.
Quick overview and tips:
- Avoid rinsing your mouth prior to using the whitening strips as too much moisture will cause the strips to shift.
- You will see two strips on a transparent film, one which is longer than the other.
- The longer strip is meant for the upper teeth and the bottom strip (shorter one) is meant for the bottom teeth.
- Fold the film to create a marking / crease in the middle and this will help you identify where to place the strips that so that they do not align too far to the left or right.
- Align the strips straight down the middle of your teeth by following the markings of the crease.
- Use your fingernails to really apply pressure and press on the strips in between your teeth to ensure that they stick rigidly to your teeth.
- Fold it over and repeat the process to cover the back of your teeth as well. Key thing to remember here is to make sure the strips are held onto your teeth TIGHT, so that they do not shift.
- Wait 30 minutes and peel the strips off starting from the edges of your teeth.
- There will be a residue left behind by the whitening strips which you can just rinse off by gargling with water.
- I wait for 30 minutes after taking out the whitening strips before consuming any food or drinks but this step is totally optional.
Effects on whitening of teeth
If you have used Invisalign or a mouthguard before you would know what i mean when I say that you most probably will speak in a lisp while talking with Crest 3D White Whitestrips.
Other than that, there are no real drawbacks to using the product. There was once I experienced some sensitivity but i assume that that is common and also because i did not press on the strips hard enough and they shifted around. If you are worried about sensitive teeth a good option might be to get Sensodyne prior to the treatment. It may be a placebo effect but i swore my teeth became slightly brighter just after 2-3 applications.
I would recommend the product as it worked fairly well for me but also feel too many people are trying to exaggerate their experiences by adjusting the lighting for the before and after photos.
I did not have extremely stained teeth when i began, so maybe the effects for me are significant but not to the extent that some claim it to be.
I would say to not expect an extreme hollywood smile from using Crest 3D white strips (most of the stars have porcelain veneers done anyway), but the product can definitely make your teeth a few shades whiter. If you get it here on Amazon you can save an extra $5.00 with a coupon provided, so purchase it before the coupon expires!
If you want to know more about teeth whitening be sure to check the common misconceptions of teeth whitening before deciding to whiten your teeth at home or with a beautician. Let us know if you guys have any products you want us to check out 🙂
Until next time, keep smiling!